By Kayla King, Editorial Assistant to Harlequin Intrigue and Harlequin Nocturne
Discussions around paranormal romance tend to be a bit polarized—but while these may not be the glory days, I still find myself a staunch defender of this category. Whether you still think it’s hot or not, there’s a reason paranormal romance once took the world by force. And I’ve got ten reasons for you to keep reading it today!
1. It’s the perfect escape. I’m just going to dive right in here and point out the obvious—paranormal is the ultimate fantasy because it’s not reality. Anything can happen. It can be the end of the world, as long as love prevails.
2. World building and lore. While not everyone goes in for these, I find the magic, the secret societies, and the ancient histories fascinating.
3. Atmosphere. Have you read a gothic paranormal romance recently? No? Get on that. The writing in a lot of paranormal romance is often as lush as it is engaging.
4. High stakes (no pun intended). The conflict in these books are often all or nothing—the last of a species, the savior of a clan, the ending of a war. Plenty to keep you on the edge of your seat.
5. Variety. Sure, we have vampires and werewolves, but have you been keeping up with bear-shifters? How about mermaids? Immortal druidic assassins?
6. Relatable characters, but with a twist. While still defined by human traits and feelings, their paranormal species informs on who they are as a person, which just makes these characters that much more complex.
7. Speaking of which, our alphas aren’t your typical romance alphas. They’re literally at the top of the pack. And what I personally love about the guys of paranormal romance—it’s a category that opens itself up to characters like anti-heroes exceptionally well.
8. And on that note, we take devils and angels. Dying to write a good redemption arc? Paranormal romance kicks that trope up a notch.
9. There are many different stories that paranormal romance can house as well. Sexy contemporary, romantic suspense, and don’t forget historical!
10. And who could forget the otherworldly hotness? Everyone knows you get a six-pack when you become a vampire. You know you scrolled down for this.
Are you a tried-and-true paranormal romance reader? Do you dabble? New to the genre? Tell us your faves or ask for recommendations in the comments below!
And check out the latest paranormal romance titles from Harlequin Nocturne!