Harlequin is always on the lookout for talented writers and we want to hear your love stories. We are currently seeking writers for all Harlequin Series romance lines, particularly for Harlequin Historical Romance, Harlequin Medical Romance, and our inspirational romance lines, Love Inspired and Love Inspired Suspense.
Why choose Harlequin/Mills & Boon as your publisher?
- Over 160 new romance authors published in the last 5 five years, including many debut romance writers
- 66 new Harlequin Series titles released across 12 romance lines every month—almost 800 a year—for avid romance readers, with ongoing publishing opportunities for writers
- Globally recognized brand with worldwide distribution and readers
- Books published in print and digital formats and distributed at major retailers and online retailers, enabling authors to build a large, international audience
- No requirement to have an agent to submit your romance novel. You can submit directly through Harlequin.Submittable.com or CarinaPress.Submittable.com.
We want readers to see themselves reflected in the books we publish and are committed to publishing diverse and inclusive voices and stories. We publish a wide range of romance stories and welcome all writers to submit their stories for consideration.
Before you submit to Harlequin’s romance lines, you may have some questions.
What is Harlequin Series romance?
Harlequin Series (sometimes known as “category” romance) refers to our 12 Harlequin Series romance lines that have recognizable branded packaging and a set number of books published on a reliable monthly schedule. For example, Harlequin Presents releases 8 books per month and Harlequin Romantic Suspense has 4 books per month.
Harlequin Series offers a wide variety of romance stories spanning various subgenres, such as contemporary and historical romance, romantic suspense and faith-based, inspirational romance. Some lines are sexy and some have no sex at all.
Carina Press, our digital-first imprint for adult romance and mystery, acquires for a wide range of fiction, including LGBTQ+ romance across subgenres. To learn more about Carina Press, visit carinapress.com.
Which Harlequin Series is right for my story?
Harlequin publishes 12 romance lines, each with a distinct story promise for a variety of readers:
- Harlequin Romance – Glamorous, heartfelt love stories
- Harlequin Intrigue – Action-packed stories where crimes are solved and justice is delivered
- Harlequin Romantic Suspense – Heart-racing page-turners with danger, passion and drama
- Harlequin DARE – Intense and liberating romance stories where sexual fantasies come true
- Harlequin Desire – Luxury, scandal, and desire in the lives of American elites
- Harlequin Historical – Grandeur and drama of romances set in long-ago eras
- Love Inspired – Uplifting stories of faith, forgiveness and hope. Love Inspired is one of the largest publishers of faith-based fiction.
- Love Inspired Suspense – Faith-based stories about love in the face of danger
- Harlequin Medical Romance – Life and love in the world of modern medicine. Many authors who write for this series have backgrounds in health professions.
- Harlequin Special Edition – Inspiring stories about believing in love and finding happiness
- Harlequin Heartwarming – Uplifting stories about friendship, family and community
You can read the writing guidelines for each series here.
Not sure which series you should be writing for? Find out by visiting Which Series Are You?
How can I submit my story?
Harlequin Series and Carina Press accept unagented submissions from authors. To submit to a romance series, go to Harlequin.Submittable.com. To submit to Carina Press, go to CarinaPress.Submittable.com. If it is your first submission, you’ll need to create a free account to submit your manuscript.
What happens after I submit my story?
Your submission will be assigned to the editorial team for the series you’ve submitted to. We review each submission and strive to respond within 12-14 weeks. If the editorial team is very busy, a response can take longer, but rest assured your submission will be reviewed! If you haven’t received a response after 14-16 weeks, you can contact the editorial team through the message app in Submittable.
Not ready to submit yet? Here are some suggestions to keep you heading for your goal.
- Read the romance lines you think best suit your story and style. Get free book samples at TryHarlequin.com.
- Join the Harlequin Writing Community on Facebook – a group of over 2,500 aspiring romance writers. Ask questions, get advice, find out when Harlequin submission blitzes are coming, and participate in Ask the Editor sessions and live chats.
- Check out the Harlequin editors’ list of recommended books on writing.
- Read our blog and get advice from our editors on everything from characters and plot to conflict and pacing.
You should feel you’re submitting as strong and polished a proposal as possible so keep writing and working on your craft! When you’re ready, hit the button below!